Annual grants to strengthen Indiana’s historical and cultural heritage have been awarded for 11 projects in nine Indiana communities.
The grants total $459,894 in federal funds allotted by the DNR Division of Historic Preservation & Archaeology. They will be matched by $429,795 in local and private funds, for a total projected investment of $889,689.
These projects have received final federal approval and are to start immediately. The federal funds come from the National Park Service, a part of the U.S. Department of the Interior, which distributes federal funds to the states through the Historic Preservation Fund Program. Since 1974, the state has awarded more than $18 million to Indiana communities through this program.
Projects for the 2014 funding cycle are listed below.
Crawfordsville: The Lew Wallace Study Preservation Society received a $30,000 grant to replace a deficient electrical system and install a security system. The General Lew Wallace Study is a National Historic Landmark built in 1895. [Contact: Larry Paarlberg, (765) 362-5769].
Goshen: The Elkhart County Clubhouse received a $50,000 grant to replace the roof, gutters, downspouts, and flashing, and make necessary masonry repairs to the chimneys on the 1890 Dale-Zook House in Goshen. The house is used by the Elkhart County Clubhouse, which provides support for people with mental illnesses. [Contact: Janette Amstutz, (574) 831-6865].
Hancock County: The American Military Heritage Foundation received a $50,000 grant to repair a vintage Lockheed PV-2 Harpoon airplane called “Hot Stuff.” The plane entered military service in 1945 and is now owned by the foundation, whose goal is to keep it air-worthy and use it to educate people about World War II aircraft and aviators. [Contact: Rich Suiter, AMHF, (240) 409-3662].
Indianapolis: The Athenaeum Foundation received a $50,000 grant to rehabilitate the exterior masonry of the Athenaeum building downtown. [Contact: Cassie Stockamp, Athenaeum Foundation, (317) 655-7255 ext. 2].
Indianapolis: The Indianapolis Parks Foundation received a $50,000 grant to stabilize and rehabilitate the former trolley shelter in Garfield Park. The trolley shelter was built in 1904 on the railway turnaround loop along Southern Avenue, and is one of the oldest structures in the Indianapolis Park and Boulevard System historic district. [Contact: Jo Ellen Sharp, Indianapolis Parks Foundation, (317) 251-3261].
Jasper County: Ball State University’s Department of Anthropology received a $49,802 grant to conduct an archaeological survey of 900 acres in Jasper County. [Contact: Chris Keller, Ball State University, (765) 285-5396].
Muncie: The Muncie Civic Theatre received a $50,000 grant to rehabilitate the 1880 Boyce Block building, which houses the theater and its offices, as well as office space, retail space and apartments. The project is the second part of a multi-phase roof replacement and masonry repair plan. [Contact: Chris Griffith, Muncie Civic Theatre, (765) 288-7529 ext. 202].
Muncie: The City of Muncie received a $50,000 grant to stabilize and rehabilitate the 1913 Fire Station No. 1. It now serves as a training facility and a “safe station” for citizens who need shelter and assistance. [Contact: Aron Kidder, City of Muncie, (765) 747-4845].
New Albany: The Piankeshaw Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution received a $20,000 grant to rehabilitate 19 windows in the 1814 Joel Scribner House. The organization is restoring the house as a museum to the time period of Scribner’s residency. [Contact: Laura Renwick, Indiana Landmarks, (812) 284-4534].
Newton County: Ball State University’s Department of Anthropology received a $49,867 grant for an archaeological survey of 900 acres in Newtown County. [Contact: Chris Keller, Ball State University, (765) 285-5396].
Plymouth: The City of Plymouth will receive $10,225 to prepare documents for rehabilitating and improving the 1875 Plymouth Fire Station. It is occupied by the Veterans Therapeutic Art Center, an organization that engages veterans in arts, crafts, mechanics and other activities to reintegrate them into society. [Contact: Sean Surrisi, City of Plymouth, (574) 936-2948].